Friday, March 06, 2015

So...I Wrote a Book...I'm an Artist

I Wrote a Book

It's funny to say something like that because I'm sure if people asked what I did and I replied with, 'I'm a writer', people give you a look that says, 'you can't be serious, right?'.

Yeah, I'm fucking serious!

I sometimes wonder if it's worse to proclaim your a writer compared to saying your an artist or the like - I still consider myself an artist.

There's a certain stigma that goes with being a writer or an artist.
Being poor is one of them.

I can't say that I'm any different at times because when people tell me the same thing, depending on their mood, I say, 'Oh, okay.' and move on or would be more engaged and say, "Wow, that's great!  What type of art...etc.'

I'm not happy that I do that and I catch myself but it's all part of that stigma of how we perceive artists.

I remember going to my best friends graduation at a small yet charming art school in SoCal.  The keynote speaker was brilliant in my opinion but his words rang true.  Artist are under valued and don't really get appreciated but after a millennium and society as we know it has changed, it is these artist work that sticks out define a culture, a time and place.

Artists defines a society.

It's silly we don't give them credit where credit is due.



Don Hahn as Keynote speaker