Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Color Blue Part II of the Cinderella Movie talk

I recently read an article about the existence or evolution of the color blue and I think after watching Disney's 2015 version of Cinderella...

I GET it!

The article is called No One Could See the Color Blue Until Modern Times and it basically states that blue is not found in nature - rarely in humans and engineered by us in flowers - and everything was either a shade of green and the oceans were described as being wine colored in ancient Greek literature.  Blue wasn't even a color until someone made it up and started to refer to things as 'blue' in modern times.  Historically, the most identified colors were Red, then Yellow, and then Green yet no Blue.  In fact, the only ancient culture that had an identified name for the color blue was in Ancient Egypt as it was a dye they made.

Hmm...so I didn't know what a color is and I wanted to make up one, I should just start calling it some random thing until it catches.  Sound good to me.  

But really, one way I can describe this phenomenon is by having a pack of crayons.  When I was a kid, I remember I had a 12 pack of crayons and they came with all your standard colors.  When I was in 2nd grade, it seemed that they had developed a new pack of 24 and then 36.  Before the 24 and 36 pack came out, you only described colors with your basic, red, yellow, green, and yes, blue.  But when those other colors came out, there were colors like red-orange or blue-green (I was so fascinated with the two color combos as a kid - especially b/g) or even hot pink in the new 36 pack.

Yeah, wow, neon colors were the shit back in the day!  All the boys and girls fought for the Hot Pink colored crayon because it was just so different!
Actually, these aren't the original 8.  Most are in here but you get the point.


Think about.  When you were used to drab, matte colors, you only knew and used it and didn't think much of it.



In fact, you knew these colors very well.  Then Crayola threw a wrench in your system by introducing the 24 pack, the 36 pack and then the 64 pack of colors!
Ooooooh ~!

Man, what were you going to do with all these color?!  Why, your world has now been broadened but so much more, now!  Oh!  And there's a Crayon Sharpener!!! (Oh, the things the 3rd grade me found fascinating)

No more just peeling back the crayon or sharpening it by scratching it on a piece of paper to a nice point or under the roof of your desk (BTW, I never did that when I had no paper...maybe).

Broken crayon tip?  Pssh!  You have evolved and now have the tools to efficiently sharpen and color like a fiend! 

After getting that 64 pack of crayons in 3rd grade, you just had so many options to work with!  When you asked your friend for that Forrest Green Crayon because it was just slightly darker than drab old green and you've upgraded, you knew your prospective had changed.  Now, you can recognize or at least put a crayola name on shades and tints besides your basic 8 colors to everyday items and your color pallet has grown!

Then the mother load came out in 3rd grade...the coveted 96 Box of Crayola Crayons and whoever had that box was your bestest friend EVER!

I never got one because my dad was way too practical to have been a kid once and was one of those old dudes that would say, "When I was a kid, we didn't have [Insert shiny noun]!  We made our own by hand!"

Needless to say, I was definitely buddying up with attention hungry kids that were fortunate enough not to have parents that spoke about their depraved childhood and wanted to share that experience with you - me.  jk.

The coveted Holy Grail of all Crayon Boxes!



Holy Shit!  96 Colors?!  I could barely count that high, let alone name that many colors.  And, oh!  The things we can color with it!  My mind was officially blown.

Boom.

Apparently so were Crayola's because - and I didn't realize it at the time - the new colors were such a hit!  They came out with bigger packs with more exotic colors!  Crayola banked on us greedy little color hungry kids that based our popularity on the number of crayons, the variety and if you sat next to the cool kids with those crayons!  Crayola had such a demand for more crayons and colors that they probably got smart and used the consumer to help with the naming of all these exotic color.

I forget how many colors but when this box first came out, there were the mystery unnamed crayons.  Crayola then ran a contest, "Name the New Colors", to enlist kids to name their new crayon colors introduced in the box - but really...we knew the parents were the ones naming them because who doesn't like free shit for their kids!

Well, now, thanks to that 96 color box, we have things like Macroni n' Cheese orange (which is kinda gross if you think about how bright that orange is for cheese), Watermelon and other stuff like that to broaden our young minds.  Below is an example of a child's favorite dish.


But this?  Wow...Definitely not for kids as they probably don't know how to read half of that.



Actually, if I were honest to myself, I would say my fascination with colors did start with a box of crayons but those names are so obscure (they actually are because this was part of a special limited pack, not your normal crayon pack).

If I was a kid, with only an 8 or 12 pack of crayons, my world would have been confined to those meager colors and I wouldn't have known any difference because I wasn't exposed to it but now we all can probably list 10 different names for the color blue, or green or red.  

I get fixated on certain things but in high school, for some reason, finding different names for colors was one of my fascinations.  Heck, if you watched Pokemon in the 90's and 2000's you'd at least have expanded your color knowledge if you knew the towns the characters visited. 

Getting back to the ranch and to my original thought, this movie of Cinderella was over inundated with not just blue but brilliant cerulean blue!  It was very unnatural to my eyes, but with how easy it is to enhance and digitize things, I wouldn't be surprised if they did spruce it up a bit...and by a bit, I mean a LOT!

So moral to this story, apparently color is very much different from person to person, culture to culture but until someone deems a different shade/tint worthy of naming, no one else will really notice.

Therefore, I name that particular blue 'Freaky Ass Retina Burning Nuclear Cinder Blue'.