Thursday, May 14, 2015

5 Element Acupunture

5 Element Acupuncture is as the name implies, utilizes the 5 elements.

I'm not sure what I think about this style of acupuncture because it can sound hokey - granted many of you would think that about acupuncture in general but to each their own.

I obviously believe it works because I'm otherwise wasting my time spending 3-4 years studying this type of medicine and raking up a 100K debt for it (lots not go into how much money I'm actually investing in this field)

There's lot of potential and I've found a job that I love.

Finding a job you love is in itself worth the debt I'm accruing (...Remind me I said that when I get my first payback bill from Sally Mae)

Anyhoo, if you're really interested I can go into it some of the basic theory of acupuncture but I'm going to talk about 5 Elements.

So with the 12 primary channels (there are more channels but not for today's lesson!), the starting or ending points from fingertips to elbows or toes to knees have 5 elemental points.



Above is the example of the Lung Channel

This channel has 11 points but of the 11 are 5 elemental points: Fire, Earth, Metal, Water, Wood

5 points between the thumb and the elbow correspond to those elemental points and have certain energetic for treating different ailments around the body.

The elemental points are 11, 10, 9, 8, 5

11 is the Jing Well or the Wood Point
10 is the Ying Spring or the Fire Point
9 is the Shu Stream or the Earth point
8 is the Jing River or the Metal point
5 is the He Sea Point or the Water point

They also use the Luo and Xi Cleft Points too.

Lung 6 is the Xi Cleft and Lung 7 is the Luo Point.

There are also points not on the Lung channel that has energetics for the Lung.

Bladder 13 is the Lung Back Shu and in this case, Lung 1 (on the Lung Channel) is the Front Mu for the Lung.

Now, 5 Elements, if I'm not mistaken says, don't worry about the other 6 points on the channel because they are not important.

I personally don't like that because I feel like there is a reason that these points maintained their importance within the TCM model.

Granted in this Channel for the Lung, they are only neglecting 6 points but in a longer channel like the Stomach Channel where there are 45 point, there are many point in between that are useful for treatments.

Now, I'm not saying that these Element points are not useful, because they are and I've used them many times and get great results.

My issue is that it seems like it is watering down a lot of what we're learning.

Granted, I've only had two classes so far so I can't really judge 5 Element at this time with the little information that I have at my disposal.

I'll keep updating as I find out more