Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Brewing Mead

I love MEAD!

About 4 years ago, I started to brew and it was such a great and exciting experience.  The hardest part is to wait for it.

Once you take your first sip, it makes it all worth the wait.

I'm just going to give you an overview and in a later post, I'll do a more detailed instruction on how to make mead.

Just the a brief overview:

Okay, You start off with 1 Gal or bigger Carboy. You need an airlock, some tubing, a racking pin and a thermometer. One step sanitizer or any other sanitizer It's usually expensive the first time around only because you have to buy the mead making supplies but if you keep on doing it, it's cheap after that.

You need about 5lbs of Honey per gallon of water. So if you have 3 gal Jar, you need to 15lbs of honey. You also need yeast. I use a champagne yeast but it really doesn't matter. You can get everything you need at a brew shop but I find buying honey from beekeepers or farmers are cheaper.

You activate the yeast in room temp. water Boil your water and once it's boiled, add the honey and warm it up (keep in mind that you don't want to cook it too long)

Use your thermometer to check the temp. *google what temp to boil it to* Once the honey mixture starts to boil, take it off the burner and let it cool to room temp *It NEEDS to be room temp so you don't kill the yeast Once it's room temp, pitch your mead. You'll want to sanitize everything, all the surfaces of your equip. You attached the racking pin and the hose and you siphon the mead or just pour it into the carboy. Then put the airlock on the carboy (fill the airlock with alcohol). The airlock will keep the air out but will let the gasses escape without contamination. It's important to keep your mead airtight so make sure that the airlock always has water or alcohol.

It's done and you just need to keep it in dark dry space (I put my in the back of my closet and forget it)

I usually forget about it for a year but this last batch I just racked was forgotten for 3 years and it wasn't that bad.

Once I unpack my mead notebook, I'll make a post of everything I did for my first batch.

Don't forget, you can get creative too by adding fruits or herbs to give your mead a certain flavor.

My only rule is K.I.S.S.:

Keep it simple, Stupid!

when you start adding all these other things into your mead, it can get complicated and overwhelming easily.

I'll leave you with this video of a really simple recipe but still a very unique mead: