Sunday, May 17, 2015

Good Physics is NOT why I watch good movies and shows...

So, I watch many things with my husband but we have varying tastes in shows and movies.

Now, if you know me, you know it doesn't take much to amuse me and enjoy a show.

See the clip below.  It tickles me funny and I'm perfectly happy with this:

or this:


Especially this:



The selling point for my husband to watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood:

Good Physics.

That's right.  You heard me.  

Good. Physics.


Spoiler if you haven't seen the 1st episode

At 24 seconds when Ed does alchemy, my husband exclaims, 'That's good Physics!'

WTF!

REALLY?! Who the fuck watches a cartoon and compares it to physics?!

Him, obviously but he was thoroughly impressed by how they animated the 'Law of Conservation of Mass' - Matter is neither created or destroyed.

If you watch that clip, Ed pulls metal from the ground to make a sword but as the sword is being created, the ground is disappearing as it is being used to create another object.  Hence, aptly applying the Law of Conservation of Mass.

Go figure.

Another good example was watching Battlestar Galactica
 Viper clips

At 45 seconds, the vipers are all docked in different directions.
In the first episode, you even see them land upside down on the Battlestar.

My husband was blown away by that.

...when the vipers start shooting into space and you see a smoke trail...

"Bad PHYSICS!  There is no oxygen so there wouldn't be a trail!"

I felt like Sokka...just like in this clip


I can go on and on about his physics references and other 'sciencey' things he would compare shows to.

...that is unless it's mindless fun like Archer, Bob's Burgers, the Venture Brothers etc.

Apparently, some shows are above being 'scienced'.