Friday, October 02, 2015

Day as a Fangirl

HawaiiCon is a new Sci Fi/fantasy convention that came fruition last year and I had a blast doing that!  It seems to fall on the week of September 13th and though last year was only Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, this year an additional day was added.  Yay!

Last year, I had the pleasure of meeting the new Battlestar Galactica Cast:





We were also fortunate enough to meet Bill Morrison, the co-creater of The Simpsons and Futurerama and the local comic artist by Sam Campos




Oh, and the added bonus of Tenzen or Avatar Aang drinkin' at the bar:


I'm proud to say that I invested in the Kickstarter to get this Con going and am back to see another one.  Well, I have to admit, I was a huge anime fan back in high school and college and deep down that girl is still oohing and ahhing at the great animation, unforgettable music and memorable stories and character development.

Needless to say, when there was going to be a Cowboy Bebop and Legend of Korra reunion featured on Saturday & Sunday, I knew I had to make my way to that side of the island.  I had to make a choice on what day I could make it and I chose Saturday because Cowboy Bebop holds a special place in my heart.  Granted, if it had been the cast of the original Avatar the Last Airbender Series, I would have go to that session instead!

I did however get a picture with Avatar Korra's voice, Janet Varney and a pic with the TARDIS :D





I was really enjoying the panel between Steve Blum, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Melissa Fahn A.K.A. Spike, Julia, and Edward.

Mary sang for us and Steve played the ukulele.  I found out that everyone on the panel was very musical.  Edward was the understudy for Kristin in Wicked!  I'm curious to see an old show with her now!



Best yet, I had Steve Blum promote my book, 5 Senses and I was absolutely thrilled about that.  You may be wondering why I'm so happy I have a 17 sec clip of someone talking about my book, well it goes back to the whole nostalgic thing.  I was obsessed with animation and was even considering if I wanted to get into art - I don't have the chops for it but at least one of my goals in high school came true - and naturally I loved the talent behind the art and their voices.

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn & Steve Blum - very nice down to earth people


Steve Blum is a legend among the voice acting community.  This guy voiced great characters like Spike from Cowboy Bebop, Mugen from Samurai Champoo, narrorated for Toonami and also voiced parts in Box Trolls, Digimon, Big O, Star Wars the Animated Series and many more!  The only way my day would have been absolutely perfect is if they had Wendy Lee there at the reunion as she's been in just about every show I watched as a teen.  

Here he is.


It still needs some editing but I'm glad I got him to do a recording for 5 Senses but I'm as giddy as a fangirl