Sunday, November 01, 2015

In honor of NaNoWriMo, Just Keep Writing....

Do you remember Dory from Finding Nemo?

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming."

Good, now replace "swimming" with writing and BAM!

Simple, right?

Well, not really.  It's taken me years - and I kid you not, it has been years - to figure out what to do to keep on writing.  In honor of NaNoWriMo, an lovely tradition of completing 50,000 words or more in the month of November, I wanted to write about finishing inspiration.  You'll need a lot of it if you're trying to complete that goal by the end of the month.

I can't really say when and what I used to do to keep motivated back in high school or even early college but I can definitely tell you I tried to dabble in everything to keep motivated.

I'd hate to say that I grew into writing but maybe I did.

One thing that has been a constant as far as my writing career is journal or writing a diary entry.  I don't even know when that habit started.  Perhaps it was during the time I was curious about dreams and I was an avid dream diary keeper.  I still do for certain dreams. Or maybe it was when I in English class and I had to keep a journal of what I read and my opinion about that person's writing style.  IDK, but something started and clicked in my head.

Throughout my life, I've been cataloging certain events that were important to me in some way or form because I felt the need to keep record of it.  I wrote my first story for an assignment in ninth grade - freshman year English class in high school - and loved the whole process!  I was hooked and have had writing on my mind since then.  Granted, writers don't really make much unless you're E.L. James and J.K. Rowling, but the reality of it is you won't likely make a career like those people.

Hmm...maybe I should change my name to be D.A. Takeshita or D.M. Fausia or the like to make it appealing or something, Maybe their success is in the name, I don't know!  jk

Point is, I knew that getting into writing wasn't going to pay my bills and I needed a profession that would so I went to school and did the whole collegiate thing - yay.  Honestly, it was one of the best things (financially, maybe the worst) but I did am very fortunate because it got me back into writing...when I felt the need to procrastinate!

So, here I was, a student in need to getting a paper done and what would I do?  I would brainstorm on a story that was floating around in my head and work on that instead!

If you're a student at the moment, DON'T DO WHAT I DID!

Anyhoo, I had some great experiences during my 20's and wrote journal entries about my life and my travels.  I'm actually really grateful for it now because I want to go back and rewrite them again and possibly use them in the near future.

In college, I had so many great classes that encouraged me to write and learn how to be a better writer.  I can now take my personal experiences from journaling and weave them into an elaborate story thanks to those classes.

So you want to write?  Well, find something that motivates you!  Not an easy task, let me tell you!

It took me years to figure out that writing was a coping mechanism for stress and sometimes the source of my stress ==> writers block.

I took up blogging so that I could unwind and also practice a skill that I REALLY need to hone.  I tried to blog my first years in collage but I definitely wasn't in the right mindset as I am now.  Back then, I didn't have the right motivation or even think of it as being helpful. Now, blogging has been a great inspiration to keep on writing and I think I've finally found something that works for me.

If you're still searching for what works for you, try any out for a month or two and see if you can keep up with it.  If not, maybe it's not enough motivation for you and just keep on searching until you find something that captivates your interest and spurs you on to write.

Sorry, if you were looking for some magic formula to make you write but honestly, writing is a lot of trial and error.  Like any thing in life, if you really want to be serious about it, you've got to put in the time and work.  Some days, you'll feel like you're just writing just to write...like what I'm doing now but that's okay.  At least you are writing!  It keeps you in practice and the best thing about it is you can always come back to it later, like tomorrow, next week, month, year or decade and may be able to incorporate later.

Good luck and keep up the great work, everyone!