Sunday, May 29, 2016

Withdrawls! I Need More Cartoons!

I am a HUGE cartoon fan and though I still think the 90's had the BEST cartoons ever, I can't help but love some of the stuff that's come out of this millennium.  Now, I'm having a dry spell with all my favorite shows and binging material either forever done or season ending.

Currently Watching and still running:

Archer
One of my favorite seasons, five
If you haven't watched Archer and you're a huge fan of spy/sleuth movies, raunchy and very inapprops humor, mixed in some fucked up family dynamics, a splash of science and great comedic timing, Archer is for you.

This crazy story has some of the best one liners I've ever heard, pedantic grammar Nazism and obscure historical fact drops by none other than Sterling "Duchess" Archer.

Pam's my favorite character and I'm a huge fan of H. Jon Benjamin so, sue me.  Next Week will be the season finale and I'll be going through withdraws from that soon until next year.


Bob's Burgers



This show is one of the cleaner and most family oriented shows that I'm addicted to currently.  The Belcher's are a just your everyday American family with family business and fun wholesome adventures...that can include looking for a two butted goat, a mission to scare the piss out of their youngest kid on Halloween, chasing your food inspector naked on a nude beach a so much more!

Honestly, it's like looking in the mirror at times that it's creepy.  If I ever ended up having a family (which it won't), the Belcher's would be how my imaginary kids would be and our family dynamics would turn out exactly like them.  We'll settle for me being Linda and Tina and my husband is Bob, Gene and Louise all combined.

Oh, almost forgot, there was a crossover with Bob's and Archer and it was funny!  Fun Fact: The voice actor for Archer and Bob are one and the same, H. Jon Benjamin.
Archer incognito and hiding as Bob 

Rick & Morty


Rick and Morty is a new addition to my watch list and I'm now I'm going to have to wait until new episodes come out in like a year.

Think of this as a REALLY fucked up Back to the Future if they didn't censor anything and were allowed to make extremely lewd and off colored jokes at the expense of the watcher, the human race, lower life forms and beings, mediocrity of life and settling for 2nd, 3rd 4th... (it goes on) in life and goals.

There are too many jokes and references that I lose track of and even have to look up because even I'm not that nerdy but I can't tell you how awesome this show is.  This show pushes the envelope almost beyond that of Archer or any other show I'll mention I'm watching.


Futurama


I know, I know, I'm a late bloomer at watching this series and maybe I had reservations because I grew up with the Simpson's (same creators), so I thought it would be redundant but boy was I wrong.  This brilliantly written show is smart, funny - just like the other shows mentioned above - and has story arcs that span multiple seasons.

This show is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy person's dream come true covering space travel, science, philosophy, morality, time travel/dimension travel, you name it.  The thing that really drew me to the show is how emotionally connected you can get to some of these character's plight.  You definitely get the feels at the end of the series but it's satisfying.

I was hoping that Netflix was going to revive Futurama - so says the media rumor mill - but it seems that Groening will be creating a new series all together.

I can still hope though.


The Venture Bros.


The Venture Bros. came out with a new season this year and it didn't disappoint, other than we're now left with more questions about the history of the Monarch.  This is yet another satire and parody of old cartoons with ridiculous premise and characters but there is something so satisfying binge watching this series.  Great writing and pretty messed up like the rest of these series (with the exception of Bob's Burgers) but development in this series is a lot of the appeal for me.

Unlike most of the cartoons on this list - with the exception of Futurama - if you want to see major character development and insane plot lines, look no further.  The characters actually develop and grow up - namely Dean and Hank - and the villains are multifaceted.  Our naive little boys have seen and learned things about the world around them unlike any other teens and completely change as characters from 1st season to the most recent 6th season.  You can watch the relationship between Dr. Girlfriend and the Monarch develop with the ups and downs of being a super villain and managing to date one another.

Plus, there is a lot of psychological bullshit in here that is both sad and disturbing at the same time, you sometimes can't help but laugh out loud and wonder if it's because you feel sorry for them or are just to uncomfortable to admit that is just fuuuuuuucked up.

Frisky Dingo


From the same creators as Archer and Sealab 2021 (who also incidentally voices Ray Gillette), this superhero vs super villain show is yet another great mashup and mockery of good vs. evil trope.  This is like watching Archer if archer had superpowers, so if you're already a fan of those other shows, you may want to give this other Adam Reed show a go.


All in all, I am a cartoon nerd, but definitely an adult cartoon nerd.  Actually, I enjoy watching certain Anime as well - I LOVE FMA Brotherhood! - but can't seem to find a show as deep and well written as that lately.  When I do, I'll definitely binge watch it and let you know what I think.

Image result for fullmetal alchemist brotherhood

If you have any other recommendations, let me know!