Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Going to Taiwan for Two Months!

This an update brought to you by my recent purchase for a ticket to Taiwan!  WooHoo!

While it'll be all fun and games and hobnobbing while I'm there, I do have a purpose of going to Taiwan so suddenly.

One, I was chosen to be recipient of the TUSA or Taiwan-United States Sister Relations alliance (TUSA) Summer Scholarship Program 2016 (Wow, that's a mouthful).  National Cheng Kung University will be hosting us during this time and our classes, private tutors, excursions and home stay experiences will all be covered by the scholarship.  




Mission Statement:
“Promote peace in the world by creating closer friendships and understanding between the people of the United States and the people of Taiwan.”

The other main purpose of this program is Chinese language intensive studies and Taiwanese cultural education.  There are supposed to be a variety of electives that we may choose from to enhance our experience but I'm not quite sure what they are.

I'll be doing this summer program from June 30 - August 24 so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I can pick up the language much better when immersed in it.  



One thing I'm encountering when trying to learn Chinese is since my brain is so familiar with Japanese, the similarities I find between the two languages are throwing me off, especially the written portion.  Both the simplified writing as well as the meanings can be slightly different but that small change is to confuse me. 

I think one of the things I'm going to do while I'm here learning is keep a blog as I did of my travels about the things I learn during my trip to Chiang Mai and Krabi.  It'll help keep me writing as well as reflect on my experiences in a new location.

I'm nervous about what I need to bring and not bring but mainly it all pertains to my budget.  Cost of living in Taiwan looks to be comparable to where I'm at now so I'm trying to see if I can plan out my budget as I'll have limited funds to make this work.

I'll have fun no matter what though.