Thursday, June 23, 2016

Preparing for Two Months of Exchange in Taiwan

I'll be leaving for Taiwan on Monday and it's funny, even though it's only two months, I'm more nervous about this temporary displacement when compared to my first international move from US to Thailand and even my upcoming move from Thailand to China.

Granted there are a few uncertainties with this move, finance - not having income or a job for the time being, so I have to budget well - new setting, new language and new set of friends to make on my own.

Probably the aspect of being on my own for the first time in a long time with out a network of people I've never met is a bit daunting but I guess it will be the first time since I was on my own in 2007-08 when I was in Japan.

I'm also preparing to move out of the apartment since we will be staying with friends when we move from Thailand to China so packing has also become a purge of sorts.  Luckily we live in a tiny apartment and I've only been here 6 months so I haven't really had the chance to really hoard many things.

Thailand's cost of living is rather cheap, and apparently so is Taiwan but seeing as I don't have any steady income, I'll have to budget and really plan out the next two months.  Maybe I'll be fine after the first week, but I'll be curious to see if I'm still pretty nervous about the situation or not after that point.

I do look forward to seeing a new country and location but at the moment, it's not at the forefront of my mind and once I get over the initial shock of being on my own (sorta), I'll should be fine.

For the time being, I will try and do what I did during my last trip of posting shocks of the day in Taiwan because I realize it's a great gauge on my own expectations as well as how my view of living and culture around me may change over time.

Until next week when I post my first shock of the day, I'll be posting from Taipei and hosted by a couch surfer.

See ya then!