Sunday, July 03, 2016

Shock of the Day: 6

I have been here for a week and main I've been trying to acclimate to my new environment.  I've had a few shocks of the day but the ones that really stood out were from our field trip yesterday.

Yesterday, we went to a oyster farm and were promised to an all you can eat oyster dinner.  Little did we know it was all you can eat in 30 minutes because we were on a schedule.  Needless to say, the only Samoan in the group wanted to maximize on this free shit and dumps all the oysters on the fire and once things stared to seam and top, I was on that shit like white on rice!

Let me just say, that I've only eaten oysters a few times.  Less than the number of fingers on one hand so I didn't quite know what I was doing when we started.  Well, that quickly changed as time ticked on and I became an expert, let me tell ya!  I watched the guy that owned the restaurant and emulated what he did, and soon, I was shucking these suckers like a pro!  I would watch them like a hawk for any sign of steam or popping and then I learned to crack them open with my tongs, chopsticks, table and floor.



I wasn't the lucky one to fine this beaut, but a guy at our table opened his and found a tiny crab in the middle.  Not sure if it died before or after we opened it but hey, double the haul in one oyster for him :P

Let me tell you about another great discovery:  Karaoke on the bus!

Yes, you heard me!  Karaoke on the tour bus!  We (namely me) were so excited about this revaluation and fought over the book of songs.  To my disappointment (but not shock), there were only a few English songs listed but that didn't deter me.  I wanted to sing Carpenter songs and when they played, unfortunately, I was shocked to find that there were no lyrics!  

What gives?!

Apparently, according to our guide Jack (dude with the mic), Taiwan is starting to crack down on copyright laws etc so the English songs do no have the lyrics.  However, there are a few songs that seem to have exceeded that statute of limitations, so what gives?  Well, I'm thinking they are playing it safe and any songs that are Enlish do not have lyrics I think just to cover their butts.


Kinda sad I didn't get to sing Karaoke in a tour bus but Oh, well!  It's great to know it exists :P