Thursday, July 07, 2016

Shock of the Day: Nepartak & Calm before the Storm

Thursday Week 2

Well, we have a Typhoon heading our way.

Not just any Typhoon, but Nepartak Super Typhoon Cat. 5 - Typhoon.  




I know this may sound cavalier of me but I don't really feel any which way about this typhoon as I'm waiting for it to come.  I remember when Iselle hit the Big Island 2 years ago and we played this same waiting game of "when is it coming?"  Last time we guesstimated it would be 12 hours late + change and it's the same this time around.  What was supposed to hit Taiwan at 12:00 July 7, 2016, is still not here as of 2:10am July 8th.  I originally speculated it would be 12 hours late again but I'll have to amend that statement and even go on a limb and tack on another 5 hours so...5am...?




The waiting is still a bit nerve-wracking but not as bad this time around despite this story being uber strong and Iselle actually downgrading to a tropical storm.  I guess rule of thumb for me is, if the locals are not as concerned, well, when in Rome...

I did however stock up on food and water for two days just in case we can't leave our dorm for any reason.  I honestly don't know what to expect for a storm like this but we'll just have to wait and see.

For now, I'll ride out this calm before the storm and drink my Suntory Chuhai when it finally hits as we did for Iselle.

I'll definitely follow up this blog with an update in a day or two depending if we have power or not.